Thursday, April 14, 2011

23: Playing House

Playing House, by Patricia Pearson, was a cute enough book. It was one of those books that I picked up on a whim at the library one day. It had an interesting enough premise, but by the end, I didn’t have enough interest in it to really care one way or the other about the characters.

Frannie finds herself unexpectedly pregnant, throws up in a sweater display in the Gap, goes back to Canada, where she is from, to take advantage of the free health care and finds herself unable to return to NYC due to an expired visa. She rides out the remainder of her pregnancy, breaks the news to the baby daddy, Calvin, and “house sits” for her brother while learning to become a mom.

The book was not developed enough for me to like. It lacked details and by the end I thought Frannie was annoying and whiny. I’m tired of authors not giving their characters strong opinions, strong backbones and strong personalities in book (hello, Shopaholic series). I give this book a 5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment