Thursday, April 14, 2011

26: Lowcountry Summer


Lowcountry Summer, by Dorothea Benton Frank, is the story of Caroline, who lives on Tall Pines Plantation. Like all of her books, this one is set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. But, unlike most of her books, this one is AWFUL.

I have my doubts if Ms. Frank even wrote this book. It reads like a ghostwriter wrote it. It is so completely unlike her typical writing style and her typical narratives that I really finished it just because I had to see how ridiculous the plot got.

Caroline, the main character, is so mean in describing her niece (who she says could go to work on a carnival for how ugly she is) I had trouble taking her seriously. She also tries to make jokes about her nieces dating landscapers and calls her sister-in-law awful names. There was a ton of bad language and the thoughts of sex permeated this book. Nothing about this main character radiated “southern charm” and the only good and decent character gets killed off. 

Don’t waste your time or money. I was disappointed, for sure, because most of her books are very entertaining. Drop the ghostwriter, and return to Sullivan’s Island, Dorothea Benton Frank! I give this one a 3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment