Monday, May 9, 2011

27: Pictures of You


Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt plays the “what-if” game. What if you got in a car wreck and accidentally killed someone? What if you were leaving your husband? What if your child knew and saw all of this?

The story weaves through the aftermath of such a disaster, where the mother of a young child dies, but he sees it all, and then the woman who hit the car (accidentally) starts a relationship with the boy’s father and weaves her way into their life.

I don’t think this book had a climax. I have really liked Caroline Leavitt’s other books, but this one was lacking. I found the main characters annoying and while this event was certainly traumatic, I don’t think it would define and change your life forever. Maybe I’m wrong – I hope I never have to find out – but I don’t think it would. I had a really hard time finishing this book and believe I ended it with, “OHMYGOD JUST MOVE ON ALREADY” mentality and found that the ending was thrown together without much thought.

I give this one a 6/10. I expected more, and was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment