Monday, January 24, 2011

3: The Scent of Rain and Lightning

The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard is a murder mystery style of book. I liked the premise of it – a girl’s father is killed during a rainstorm and her mother disappears the same night. A local man is accused of the crimes and sent to jail. Some twenty-something years later, he is released on bad evidence and it sends her into a spiral of finding out the truth.

The book was well written... for the first half, and then it falls apart to me. The characters were believable and the main character is likable. However, there are major parts of this story missing. I did not like the love triangle between the main character, Colin & Red. The history between Jody (main character) and Colin was awkward and the love interest only made it odder. I had a lot of questions surrounding Colin’s mother’s death – where were the police? Why was the killer able to escape so easily? Why was Billy able to escape? What was the motive in all of this?

Overall, I liked it. It never hit the “WOW” moment I was wanting, and it wrapped up too perfectly for my tastes. I give it a 6/10 because of the missing parts of the story and how the second half read so differently than the first half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment