Sunday, January 16, 2011

1: All We Know of Heaven

All We Know of Heaven is a young adult book is written by Jacqueline Mitchard, who wrote some of my favorite adult books. However, I’m not sure about her writing young adult fiction. It seemed to me like she altered her sentence structure, and her new ones came out stilted and didn’t have the voice that she usually has in the writing.

That being said, the book was engaging. The story is (ripped from the headlines!) about two teenage girls who get into a car accident and one girl lives and one dies. The families are told who is whom, based off where the girls were sitting in the car. Because they were so similar in height/weight/looks and their injuries are so severe, doctors are not sure who is whom. Turns out, they got the girls switched.

The story deals with the family’s discovery and their healing. The two families do not end on good terms, and I did not like that. I cannot imagine what that would be like, but I would think that you would not hate the other family because their daughter lived. Also, there was a love connection in the book that honestly eeeked me out. The boyfriend of the dead girl ends up falling in love with the living girl and it was just weird to me.

All in all, I give this a solid 6/10. Good reading, not spectacular, but definitely kept my attention. A good high school/middle school book, although there is sex in it, the characters are careful to discuss protection and issues around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment