Wednesday, March 16, 2011

20: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is the debut novel by Beth Hoffman. A true Southern charmer, this book delighted me to no end. It was uplifting, funny, sweet and sad all in one book, and I found myself cheering for CeeCee, for her aunt and for her adopted family as the book went on and while the ending was a little far-fetched, I still loved the book so much.

CeeCee’s mother has a debilitating mental illness that she has stopped taking medication for. CeeCee immerses herself in books so she will learn as much as she can so the genetic disorder that has taken over her mother’s life will not take over hers. The story unfolds, and her absent father refuses to help and travels for his job so he is gone often and does not notice how deeply depressed his wife is. A tragedy occurs and CeeCee’s father sends her to Savannah, the land of bees and honey, to live with her great-aunt. CeeCee is plopped into a foreign world, complete with racial tensions, a naked neighbor, an aunt who loves her and a whole lot of fun.

The story solidifies women’s friendships, the strength of women and the delight of a young child. I loved this book. It is true Southern fiction and almost a perfect story. I give it a very, very, very solid 9/10 and recommend this to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    Wow, thanks so much for your lovely words about my novel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed CeeCee's story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - it was AMAZING! I loved it, and bought copies for my mom, my mother-in-law and my sister for Mother's Day! It was so uplifting and I just loved CeeCee and how it turned out. I want a sequel! Thank you for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete