Thursday, March 24, 2011

21: The Great Gatsby


The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is the timeless story of love, loss and the eternal green light. It’s really hard to recap such a classic story, so I’m not going to try, since I have to be in the 5% of people who have never read this book until now (How? I have a Masters Degree in READING!). Anyway, I was not disappointed. 

I loved the language in this book. It was so vivid and just flowed so well. I reread the last sentence at least ten times, just soaking it in, because it was so well-written: “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” What a great line to describe the fight of life, the fight we all have every day in different areas of our lives. 

It was neat reading about the Jazz Age. I don’t know much about this Era, but the overwhelming abundance of money and parties and stuff was very neat to read about. 

I did really like this book. It was not my favorite, I did not devour it like I do some books, but it’s an American classic for good reason, and I’m glad I read it. I give it a solid 8/10. 

PS: I am STILL thinking about that last line! Gah, it gets to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment