Thursday, February 17, 2011

11: Little Bee


Little Bee, by Chris Cleave, is an amazing and thought provocative book about our lives in the world on this increasingly smaller globe. It’s going to be hard to give a synopsis of this book without giving too much away, but basically a Nigerian girl’s life changes the lives of many English citizens – some for the good and some for the bad.

The one pivotal scene on the beach is so haunting. It made me think about it for days. Actually, I read this book a week and a half ago and I am still thinking about it. It’s terrifying and nerve-wracking and makes you want to throw up a little and I cried and cried while reading it. And yet, I loved this book. The topics covered in this book are not fun ones and the undertones of the differences in first and third world countries are obvious and make you think. The presence of the oil politics are an underlying theme and made me want to do SOMETHING – ANYTHING – to help these refugees.

I can’t stop thinking about this book. About Little Bee, about 4 year old Batman/Charlie, about Sarah and how quickly her life veered off path. I want to reread it, but it is such raw writing, such an explosive topic, I think I need to reread it when I have the chance to really think about it and discuss it with others. This is not a book to read alone, that’s for sure. This would be a fantastic book club book.

I give this book a 9/10. Superb writing, deeply moving topics and characters and overall, a fresh and new outlook for a book.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica. We read this book for book club and it was excellent. A very good book to read for a book club that brought about lots of discussion. It's a very thought provoking book and also has excellent characters. I love your reviews and the ratings for each book. They really make it easy to find books that will be good to read. Thanks - Ben.

    ReplyDelete