Thursday, February 3, 2011

6: Outlander


Outlander is written by Diana Gabaldon and tells of the tale of an English woman, Claire, who is taken from her current world of 1940’s and into the Scottish Highlands in the late 1700’s. And… that’s all I have to summarize it with.

I wanted to like this one. I wanted to like it SO MUCH. And yet, I did not in the SLIGHTEST. It’s unfortunate I did not like it considering it is six HUNDRED pages long. This was my Everest.

I found the whole time travel thing to be hard to deal with. Not the travel itself, but the way Claire reacted to it. She was thrown into a new world and she just… accepted it. She went along for the ride, outhouses and killings and all. She’s married off to Jamie (which is interesting because you know, she has a HUSBAND in the “other world”), who beats and rapes her and she ACCEPTS THIS. She says she deserved the beatings! DESERVED THEM! There is a lot of description around sex – male/female and male/male. It was… a lot to read.

The book drug on and on and seemed to never end. And then! There is a sequel. I for one, will not be reading it, and will be throwing this book (and all six HUNDRED pages) at the next person to recommend it to me, or maybe even at the person who recommended it to me to START WITH. I give it a 2/10. Which is partly just because IT IS OVER.

Honestly? I’d like to go back in time and not read this book.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted this! Soooo many people recommend it but I'm not about to read a 600 pager that I'm on the fence about. I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete