Wednesday, February 16, 2011

9: Coming Back to Me


Coming Back to Me, by Caroline Leavitt is a story about a man and a woman who fall in love at first sight (in a diner) and then get married and have a baby. Neither the wife nor husband comes from any type of cohesive family, and so they have this “us against them” mentality. Well, right after Molly gives birth, she falls into a coma and Gary has to learn to take care of the baby, his incredibly sick wife and also accept help from strangers. 

I felt… depressed while reading this book. A lot of storylines were discussed, with very little wrapup about them. What happened to Molly’s mom?  How much time are we talking about? How long was Molly in the coma? How old is the baby when she comes home? Is she ever okay? Does the baby always prefer her sister, his primary caretaker for so long? 

I’ll admit… the concept of being very ill or dying during or after childbirth is so scary to me. I was terrified when I had high blood pressure after I had Ryan and we stayed in the hospital longer. So, maybe I read this a little detached. But still, I feel like there could have been more information given throughout the book. I give this a 6/10. A solid read, but not one I would come back to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment