Tuesday, February 1, 2011

5: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver is a Groundhog Day type book in that the same day keeps happening, again and again until the main character gets it “right.”

Samantha has worked hard to be in the popular crowd at her suburban high school, and dresses and acts the part of queen bee. However, when she is in a devastating car crash, she sees how her actions may have unknowingly hurt her peers. She bothered me while reading this book. She was snobby and mean and hateful to her peers, her little sister and her teachers. She was, in short, a bully.

However. She learns. She redoes her days until they are perfect and she ends by saving another person’s life. She becomes Real and she becomes a person that you can relate to and by the end, you end up liking her and she ends up realizing how bullying affected everyone around her.

Still, the monotonous reading got to me. I was ready for the book to be over, and I was ready to Sam to realize what a snot she was at the beginning of the book. It dragged on and on, to me. However, I think a lot of people will like this book. It kind of reminded me of The Lovely Bones, in that in-between state of life.
I give this a 7/10. A solid, good young-adult read.

No comments:

Post a Comment