Tuesday, February 22, 2011

12: Still Missing


Still Missing, by Chevy Stevens, is a book told in two parts – one chapter in the current present time usually done through therapy, and one in the past tense when she was abducted and held for captive for a year in the mountains.

This book scared the daylights out of me. I am so afraid of something happening to someone I love and not knowing where they are. This is truly one of my biggest fears – that someone I love will be taken and hurt and held captive. So, this may not have been the best book for me to read considering I am home alone ALL THE TIME! However, I’ve learned how to work our alarm pretty well in the past week!

Anyway, Annie is a Realtor and is running an open house. A man comes by, and looks harmless and nice and she shows him the house. Well, he abducts her and takes her to a mountain cabin. He keeps her there for a year, some awful, awful things happened (I cried. A lot.) and you know from the start that she does escape, since the present time chapters are written from the beginning of the book. She finally escapes (scary!) and takes herself to a police station. And that’s when the book gets really, really hard to put down. Because the investigation takes a turn, and you begin to think that maybe Annie wasn’t chosen at random… but maybe something much more sinister is going on here.

I really liked this book, scared or not. I found Annie to be a normal woman, who gets put in an awful situation and comes out with serious trauma and has to work through that. I found the ending to be powerful and I liked that it wrapped up the book. I recommend this book to anyone at this point. It’s been a week or so and I’m still thinking about it. I read it in record time – seriously cover to cover in one night. I could not put it down (probably because I was scared) and I had to know what happened in the end.

I give this one an 8/10. Great writing, great pace, a fantastic read for almost anyone.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, if you liked this one, you've gotta read Room next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - I put it on my list after I read your review! Sounds fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete